Thursday, May 13, 2010

NYC Zoos: Part Two-The Bronx Zoo

This past week I also took advantage of the fact that I was a mere subway ride away from the famous Bronx Zoo. What a treat! The weather was perfect, and the animals were extremely active and out for me to draw!

In the morning light I found another sleeping Polar Bear. I couldn't resist capturing his bliss while sleeping on such a seemingly uncomfortable surface. It reminded me a little of how my own dog will sometimes sleep on my shoes. I guess if you've never had a pillow, a rock will do just as fine!

I also spent some time in "Africa" and I stumbled upon the adorable Nyala. There was a whole herd not very far from the lion exhibit - so I don't blame them for being on their toes! (Of course they weren't aware of the large moat and fences protecting them...)

I also made a little friend at this exhibit. I got the feeling she was jealous of the South African Antelope getting her portrait done. Next time, Ms. Peacock!

I always love to spend time at the zoo with its supermodels, the Giraffes. I got the feeling they were waiting for their Mojitos to be brought to them on a tray. If they had a pool, they would have definitely be lying next to it - shades on and feet up.

I also got a special treat at the Gorilla exhibit. This one in particular was quite a character and loved to play tricks on his (or her) "guests." He would act very casual, meander near the glass, loose eye contact with you and look down, play with a little leaf or grass, then all of the sudden - BANG!! He would pummel himself against the glass and then run away!! (Laughing the whole time, I'm sure). He would always startle the newcomer and even get a few folks to let out a gasp or little startled scream! He was a riot...

Lastly, I spent time with the lions. I was so excited because they had cubs! The babies were only out until 1 PM (I suppose it was their nap time after that!) and, as you might have guessed, the exhibit was packed. Not really a square inch to plant myself in order to draw the little buggers. I did get some good shots of them...

The good part, was that after 1 PM, the exhibit was practically empty - with Mom and Dad still out and about. Dad made for a few fun sketches before it was time to go in for dinner...

No comments: