The New Normal

Between the diaper changes and the feedings, the play dates and activities, the lack of sleep, trying to take a shower, and taking care of the dog - I need to carve out a moment to make a little art. This is what I tell myself every day.


During my pregnancy I thought I was going to lead a perfect creative life as a mom.  After all, I work from home - isn't that the dream?  I would paint at my drafting table and my baby would coo and giggle while I worked. She wouldn't cry, or fuss, and most importantly she would take a nap - a loooong nap - that would allow my creativity to flow.

However, she does cry and she does fuss. She does also coo and giggle, but not as an observer to my "creative genius."  Oh yeah, and she does nap - either while I'm driving or in her stroller. Not the best places to paint!

But what I can do is make a promise to myself that when those quiet moments arrive I will unleash my creative daemons upon the world (or in my sketchbook).  I have to first thank a good friend and fellow artist who made this outstanding sketchbook for everyone in our critique group.  Each page is hand labeled with fun concepts and ideas.  I absolutely LOVE it! I keep it handy with pencils at the ready.  Sometimes I take a few minutes and just doodle the first thing that pops into my head. It's a great way to keep drawing and challenge my imagination.


Besides my chai latte breaks at Starbucks and carrying my little sketchpad everywhere I go just in case there is a moment I can draw, I also participate in many of The Art House Coop's free projects.  This is great motivation! I especially love the "In Five Minutes" series in which you are given concept that needs to be sketched in five minutes.  I feel like this was made for new moms!


Tallest Building in five minutes
Portrait in five minutes
Everything on your person in five minutes

I also participated in the Infinite Scroll, "Space" series. This was a lot of fun and I was thrilled they choose my drawing to post on their blog.  The great thing about these projects is that they aren't juried and that artists at any level can participate.  How great will it be if one day Emmy and I can both submit works together, side by side?  Looking forward to that.

Infinite Scroll Space Theme - "Major Tom"

While I continue to take time out to enjoy my baby, as long as I have five minutes the juices will keep flowing and I will keep working.  Besides, I do have a wee protege to show the ropes to...



(FYI for twitter folks, make sure to look for hash tag #artynewmom to keep tabs on my current work)

Comments

Unknown said…
So sweet. Love the baby pic and your story. I left you a fb msg. Hope to connect. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Native Americans of the South - East & West

Illustration Friday: Mesmerizing!

Eat Dessert First!